(Image by SLIF via Flickr)
We just got back from the Senior Living Innovation Forum a few days ago and it was an invigorating experience, to say the least. From dinners and excursions to educational sessions and presentations, we were glad to experience so many different ideas on how we can push the senior living industry forward. This year was our first time at SLIF, so we've put together a few things we were able to take away from the conference.
1. One of the presentations revealed that a lot of residents in our senior living communities said they felt invisible. This is huge because, as we know, mental health and inclusion both play a role in a resident's physical health and longevity.
2. Less activities and more life enrichment. A lot of the activities we schedule are focused on keeping a resident busy and distracted in the moment while life enrichment is focused on bettering the resident’s future through meaningful engagement and opportunities. It’s important for us to provide projects and activities that add value, purpose, and meaning to our resident’s lives.
3. In a panel discussion, operators were asked if they would rather spend money on life enrichment for the residents or new paint and a majority of them raised their hands for life enrichment. The appearance of our communities are important, but the overall well-being of our seniors is more important and we're glad to see this shift.
4. There was a lot of discussion around how to better personalize the experience of senior living for each resident. The term 'personalized-care' is definitely an industry buzz word, but we were excited so see these practices being implemented both at the community level and resident level.
5. AI is going to have a major impact, from better health decline indicators to marketing and sales tools. It's an exciting forecast in the industry for new technological innovations.
6. The senior living industry is still trying to figure out the middle-market.
7. The labor and retention problem is still top of mind and operators are still trying to figure how we can resolve it.
8. Being a company comprised of younger individuals who completely missed out on the Run DMC era, we also learned that they were amazing pioneers who can still put on an awesome show.
Overall, the Senior Living Innovation Forum was a huge success and we love being part of a community that's helping to elevate the senior living space. We'll see you next year!